Thursday, July 29, 2010

Splendiferous

Is that a kind of tree?

Splendiferous is just a made up word that I use to describe truly wonderful things.  Although, according to spell check, splendorous is a real word, so I may have to exchange my made up word for the real one.  But the real one sounds pretentious, don't you think?

Anyway, today's run was splendiferous.  5 running sprints accomplished without looking at my stopwatch.  My breathing was even, my arms relaxed, my sternum high and shoulders down.  The weather was perfect - a little overcast with a dramatically cloudy sky.  My last running bout on Tuesday was okay, but at times I questioned how much I really enjoyed running.  There were no doubts in my mind today.  Which is good, because it occurred to me that increasing my running time by 30 seconds each sprint was going to mean that as I got better at running I was going to be slowing down in my forward progression towards running 30 minutes straight.  Basically, as I dropped my number of sprints in each running session I would be increasing my running time by fewer and fewer minutes if I stuck to increasing by only 30 seconds each sprint.

The New Plan

So I just spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out how to increase my running amount by 3 minutes total each interval until I hit 30 minutes running, and how to drop sprints and not increase my total expected exercise time past 36 minutes since I also have a walking warm up and cool down that drags the whole shebang out to about 60 minutes. Here is where I think I'm going from now on out:

9    4:36 min run 1:30 min walk x 5 sprints
10  5:12 min run 1:30 min walk x 5 sprints
11  6:30 min run 1:30 min walk x 4 sprints
12  7:15 min run 1 min walk x 4 sprints
13  10 min run 1 min walk x 3 sprints
14  15 min run 1 min walk x 2 sprints
15  30 min run then home to celebrate! 

This Saturday I'll be doing interval 9 and we will see how it goes.  I think interval 10 will tell me how crazy this plan is since it will be the biggest jump in sprint time I have taken so far.

2 comments:

  1. I would say spend more than one time at each interval with that increase. 2-3 preferably and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, each interval = at least one week, which is at least three running sessions.

    ReplyDelete