Saturday, July 17, 2010

Company

This morning's run was the first time I ever ran with someone else.  And like all other situations where I suddenly have an audience, things went wrong.  We got to the point where it was time to start running and I realized that I left my stopwatch in the car. So we went back to get it.  The upside of that is that my step total for this session is 8,300, or about 4 miles.  Yay for walking more!  I was also more focused on chatting with Adriana (Hi Adriana!) than watching the path in front of my feet, so I stepped on more tiny pebbles than normal.  Riding high from my last run I decided not to use my albuterol before the run.  Bad move.  I wasn't sucking wind but I was huffing more than my ego liked.  Gah.

Running with someone else has some challenges.  I don't slip into my alpha state trance and it's hard to resist the pull of another's pace and stride.  None of this are the fault of the other runner but a measure of my inexperience.  If I ever want to compete in a race I will need to be able to run my run without getting derailed by other people.  It was fun to have company and push myself to stay up with a taller, lighter partner.  Round Hiker (my husband) isn't interested in running, so it is very enjoyable to have someone to talk to about running who has some interest.

All in all, this was a good run - minor problems did not stop us from getting out and having a good session and enjoying the lovely morning.  Job accomplished.   

No comments:

Post a Comment