Thursday, July 15, 2010

And then a miracle occurred!

So yesterday was mostly a wash.  I didn't weight lift because I had an 8 am appointment.  I did walk to Rite Aid to pick up a prescription for Little Runner with a round trip tally of something like 6,000 steps.  But I sort of tanked the weight loss efficacy by buying a pack of Red Vines and eating them on the way home - but man were they good!  If you are going to eat crap you darn well better actually enjoy it while you are doing it.

This morning I got off to a late start because Little Runner decided to get up at 4 am instead of 5 am. *sigh*  I got him some breakfast and put Thomas the Tank Engine on TV and fell asleep on the couch until 6:30 am.  I didn't get to the park to run until about 7:10 am.  But the weather was nice and reasonably cool so my late start did not screw the run up.

I decided to up my running time from 3 minutes to 3 minutes 30 seconds + 2 minutes walking for 6 intervals.  In the past, every time I increased my running time I spent the last 30 seconds sucking wind and praying for the "you can walk now" beep from my stopwatch.  Not today! I was surprised every time the walk beep went off.  I could have kept running and I was not praying for it to end!  A miracle occurred!  I am actually getting better at running.  My fantasy of running a marathon doesn't seem as implausible now as it did when I was gasping for breath after every 30 second running sprint.  Progress is amazingly motivating.  I now have to restrain myself from increasing my running time on Saturday morning.  I need to stay at this new interval time for at least 3 sessions so that I can make progress without injury.  But I feel like dancing a cha cha every time I think about how much easier running is getting for me.  And I think I could do a few minutes of the cha cha without sucking wind!

No comments:

Post a Comment