Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Running in the Rain and Running with "Boobies"


Running in the Rain

Disclaimer - it did not rain while I was running today.  There, I got that off my chest.  More about my chest later.  I've run in the rain once, and totally by accident.  I was into my run before it began to rain.  During that run I solved a mystery.  Every time I saw someone running in the rain I totally didn't get it.  Were they not smart enough to get out of the rain?  They looked miserable.  Obsession, I thought, was bad for you, and not just the perfume.  Here is the secret - it's really fun!  You get wet, and it cools you off, and the world looks all rainy and you remember what it felt like to be a kid out playing in the rain.  It's a very different sensory experience than running in sunny and dry weather, and it feels good.

Why am I talking about rain?  Because it rained last night and I went out running barefoot this morning.  The run was fine, but I definitely felt the difference in the wet pavement on my feet.  A barefoot running book I have (which will be reviewed later) stated that the three conditions that can cause blisters are heat, moisture, and friction.  It specifically noted that running in the rain for "long distances" can cause blisters due to moisture and friction.  Apparently my 3 ish miles don't constitute "long distance", or the intermittent wetness of the trail wasn't enough moisture to cause any blisters, for which I am thankful.  But in the future I will wear my vffs to run if it rained the night before.

Running with "Boobies"

This topic was a request from Shane.  First of all Shane, the proper term is tits, not boobies.  When I think of boobies, I think of this:

Blue-footed Boobies
So, running with tits.  As I did breast-feed (or rather actively pumped milk because Little Runner had what is called a "Barracuda" latch - and yes, it was a painful and that sounds) my tits got a bit bigger than they used to be.  Add on gaining 60 pounds and all the parts of me that store fat got bigger, including the tits.  I've gone from a C cup to a DD cup.  I've lost 29.2 pounds and I haven't had to drop a bra-size yet.  This tells me that I probably looked horrible 30ish pounds ago because my bras were too tight.  Since re-outfitting myself with work bras and running bras will be expensive, I am not chomping at the bit to have to do it, but sooner or later it will happen.


I have found that the Champion Jog Bra is a pretty good bra for me.  My chest doesn't move more than any other part of me does when I am running, and while the bra band is snug I can still breathe easily and the compression is not so great that I feel like I have been ironed flat.

In general, having the right clothes to go out running and feel good has been very important for me.  Some people eschew (I love that word) the high-tech fabrics that sports clothes can come in, but I wallow in the stuff.  Sweat-wicking?  Bring it on.  SPF 50 woven into the fabric?  I'm so there.  Compression and stability and all those other good things?  Yes, please!  If my butt and tits aren't bouncing too much and my legs can't start a fire because of friction and my feet are happy, I will happily continue to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment