Friday, July 16, 2010

Responding to injury

When I get hurt I want chocolate.  Reprogramming my comfort food response is a long-running effort for me that is still in the beginning stages.  I've basically decided that I'll give pain a day of eating what it wants, then it's back to actively trying to eat a well balanced diet.  Yesterday I had a dermatologist checkup and had two biopsies taken for possible skin cancer.  Since I am prone to it, I get checked every 6 months.  And every six months my doctor whittles on me and I whine.  So yesterday I had a chocolate chip latte from Starbucks right after I got stitched up.  And a piece of lemon tart.  And a few random pieces of chocolate through the day, and an awesome burger with bacon and avocado slices from Salt City Burger company, my restaurant obsession.  I have a frequent eater's account with them.  Every 11th burger is free.  Yummmmm.  But today it's back to thinking clearly about my food and health goals and actively working to achieve them.

Since I had a biopsy taken from the back of each arm I decided to ditch weightlifting in favor of giving Little Runner a bath and generally tidying up the place.  I bustled about and manged to get in a few thousand steps before work even without a focused workout.  I'll walk a mile in the building at lunch time and perhaps again later in the day.  Saturday will be a running day, Sunday rest day, and then back to lifting on Monday.

It's easy to get into a mindset that nothing should get in the way of your workouts, but life happens.  Road trips happen, doctor visits happen, and generally getting sick and feeling punky happen.  In the past one slip off the perfect path would derail me for months.  That all or nothing mentality was very damaging to my mental health and my physical health goals because I was either good or bad.  And if I was bad, I was going to be very bad.  Now I'm just me - and maybe I have good days and bad days, but since tomorrow is another day I am never off the path to my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment