Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Diet does not equal calorie restriction

Tell me I can't have something, that it's bad for me, and I crave it.  Perhaps it's my suppressed rebellious adolescent mentality surfacing (I was shockingly tame as a teenager).  Historically, as soon as I even thought about dieting, I'd crave pizza or french fries, or any number of other foods that being on a diet means that you can't have.  The only way I can be on a diet is to not be on a diet.  I now use the word diet to mean what nutritionists mean -  the totality of what I eat.  My husband says I have the palate of a 5 year old because I'm not at all fond of vegetables, but I am working on that.  The fact that I have lost 28 lbs so far (yay!) is proof that hating vegetables is no barrier to achieving health goals.

Last night I burned my frozen chicken thighs, which irritated the piss out of me.  I didn't feel like having a salad, or going out to eat, or pretty much anything else, so I cooked a frozen California Pizza Kitchen thin-crust pepperoni pizza.  I ended up eating the whole thing, which was ridiculous because it was about 1,000 calories and didn't taste that good but I was watching a great movie and wanted to munch.  So my total for yesterday was about 3,000 calories - a bit past my goal of 2100.  And it's not the end of the world.

One beyond my goal meal/day/week does not mean that I have 'fallen off the wagon'.  There is no wagon, there is no 'bad'.  Vacations to Seattle will happen.  Family reunions will happen (oooooh - Quiche Lorraine and sausage gravy here I come!)  Life will happen.  Getting in touch with the idea that there are "sometimes" foods (thank you Sesame Street!) and making sure that they are sometimes rather than always seems to be helping me.  I can have that cookie/cupcake/hot pretzel - just not every day.  Knowing that I can have the tasty foods I want helps me keep them in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment