Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lamest Run Ever!

Lame!

Slept like crap.  Ate like crap.  Ran like crap.  (I originally mistyped this sentence to read ran like carp - I wasn't actually that bad, so I did correct my spelling.)  Man am I slow.  The two conference folk I ran with frisked off like puppies and I slowly slogged behind.  I can already see that if I manage to make my October 5k run my goal had best not be placing well, but merely attending and finishing before the cut-off time. *sigh*  And on top of it all my heel was ouchy, which made me feel really lame.  I ran 4 out of the 5 sprints because the last 4 minutes 36 seconds of running was going to be uphill.  NFW.

The plus side?  I tried something new, and sort of confirmed my solitary running bias (at least for the moment).  The running area was a bit of a downhill hike all the way from the hotel, but it was a cool urbanish park that I would never had seen if I hadn't gotten up to go running at 6:15 am.

The Diagnosis

I went to the Sugarhouse U of U health clinic today.  Apparently I have Achilles tendonitis and not plantar fasciitis.  This is the same pain I've had since 2000 or 2001 when my podiatrist diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis.  That's why I wanted to see a sports medicine doctor this time.  I've become somewhat suspicious of podiatrists in the last few years.  At the least the sports med doc didn't tell me to quit running or try to sell me a $600 pair of orthtoics, although she did tell me to lay off while my insertion point was so inflamed.  Gah.  She gave me a script for Meloxicam (MOBIC) since ibuprofen hasn't been doing much for my heel inflammation.  And she gave me a list of 5 or six exercises to do to stretch and strengthen my Achilles tendon to get rid of my tendinitis altogether.  And a recommendation to bike or swim until my heel feels better.  Grrr.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that your heel is inflammed. Not fun and I know you are determined to keep running. Swimming is a good exercise in the meantime though :)

    I ate bad the other day and mirrored the same emotions you wrote about in this blog post. Back on track. It helps to have supportive friends to be there for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely having an off week eating and exercising-wise. I need to get some goggles that fit for swimming, which I plan to try to do this evening. Getting the eating on track is slowly kicking in - I've been eating pretty cleanly so far today. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete