Monday, August 2, 2010

Keeping the Schedule with Company

Working out while hosting company

Keeping to a reasonable sleep and exercise schedule can be difficult under ideal conditions.  Things tend to fall apart for me when we have company.  We have a guest for the week (Hi Phoenix Hiker!) for the Outdoor Retailer Show in SLC.  I forced myself to go to bed on time last night, even though I wanted to stay up and chat, and I got up and out to exercise before she woke up, so that part was easier.  When I am at my goal weight and fitness level it should be easier for me to take a week off for company, but right now it feels like I will just loose my momentum.  Besides, Phoenix Hiker leaves on Saturday, and then I leave for a conference in Denver on Sunday.  Exercising while away and eating within my goal for those day will be a huge challenge.  No need to walk into that one already up on the scale!

Weights today

Today was a weights day.  In deference to Round and Phoenix Hikers' schedule, I cut off my workout before I got to walk.  I came home and they took off, so I invited Little Runner to walk barefoot with me.  He was all into it until he saw someone pass us on a bicycle.  The hysterics started "I want to go home!  I want my bike!!".  If I was certain that he would actually ride his bike the entire way I planned to walk that would have been fine.  But he is still a bit wary of his new "special" bike, and he rides about 5 feet and then gets off and walks it for a bit or just sort of stands and stares at it.  I didn't want to have to cajole him around the complex, so I said no.  And then I bribed him with the promise of a Popsicle when we returned home, which thankfully got him moving.  And surprisingly, the walk with LR turned out to be lots of fun.  We splashed in a few puddles, and he got excited about identifying conifer trees as we moseyed around the walkway.  I got my barefoot steps in for the day and he got to splash, point and yell, and have a Popsicle.  It was a win - win.

No comments:

Post a Comment