Monday, August 9, 2010

Catching Up

The Outdoor Retailer Show / OUCH!

We had company last week for the Outdoor Retailer show.  It was lovely to see Stephanie again, and she was a great house guest.  Everything went well until Thursday morning.  For some reason my left calf was super tight after my run and my plantar fasciitis was killer that day.  While my run was fine I spent the next 3 days limping, which is not cool!  I did score some Injinji toe socks and some nifty Thermos water bottles at the show, so my limpfest on Friday was not a total loss.

U of U Ropes Course

Thursday morning at work I attended the U of U Ropes Course for a 1/2 day session.  I was worried that my left foot would cause a problem, but we did group exercises and no actual ropes work at all.  It was an interesting morning, and I was with a great group of people from work.  The funniest part of the whole day was the directions to the course.  I was confused by them, and muddled my way through.  My friend and I mentioned it to the course instructors and noted that the word Ropes was misspelled as well.  Three other library employees mentioned the mistakes in the directions.  Apparently we were the 7th group that summer to use the directions and the first one to mention the problems.  Librarians - we can nit-pick with the best of them!

Saturday

I did not run on Saturday.  My left heel was still pretty ouchy and I am trying to learn from my past mistakes and not just bulldoze through pain to a greater injury.  In fact, I even made a doctor's appointment for next week with a sports medicine doc to check my heel out and make sure that I know what is going on with my foot.  My heel hurt badly enough that I am willing to entertain the idea of getting a cortisone shot in my heel to help kill the inflammation.  So Steph and I went to the SLC downtown farmer's market instead.  I got some local cheese, local salami, and some amazing roasted tomato and hazelnut pesto and some basil and pistachio pesto.  I figured out that the tomato pesto has much much more garlic in it.  I may need to cut that pesto with cream cheese or something else so that I'm not breathing garlic fire for the rest of the day when I eat it.  I think my motto is "if you can't run, eat".


Denver

Right now I am in Denver for the Reference Renaissance library convention.  I like the smaller more tightly focused conventions compared to the histerionic sprawl of ALA annual.  I signed up for the local run on  Tuesday morning, and my heel is feeling well enough that I assume I will be able to do it.  It will be nice to have my second run on location - and at about the same elevation as my run at my dad's house - 5,600 feet.  That's about 1,000 feet higher than I live at.  I think it will be easier on me than people who came here from sea level.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment