Friday, August 27, 2010

Huh, it seems to work...

Weighing in every day

For the last week or so I've been weighing in every day, trying to eat about 2,000 calories and doing my physical therapy exercises.  I am down about 1.8 pounds from last week.  This is the most weight I've lost in a while, especially without active exercise.  The book that I am listening to (Influencer) talks about the power of frequent and immediate feedback on helping people change their behavior.  I don't perceive that I am doing anything different except weighing in every day instead of once a week, but I feel less hungry during the day than I have in the past.  I am also not running and weightlifting, so that could account for the decrease in hunger.  Obviously I'll have to test out daily weigh-ins for more than a week, but so far it seems to be helping.

I resisted weighing in every day for a long time because in the past I got obsessed with the number.  The last time I lost significant weight I probably had a mild form of exercise anorexia.  I lost 50 lbs in 5 months and I worked out a lot.  I'd bike 20 miles before work, or Rollerblade 10 miles (alternating).  Then I'd come home, eat dinner and go to the gym and lift for a couple of hours.  I never ate below 1800 calories and I lost 10 pounds a month.  I'd agonize if I knew I had to go out to eat for a work function - what would I eat that wouldn't interfere with my weight loss?   I was very inflexible, but if anything out of my control came into my orbit, it would derail my "progress".  There was no room for life to happen, just my obsession.  That cycle came to a crashing halt when Round Hiker came to live with me.  He brought Oreos and lots of other things that were not within my strictly constructed plan, and I was unable to maintain my freaky focus.  Then we moved to Utah (from Miami) where the cold activated my Belgian genes.  They loudly began to demand that I sit on the sofa and drink hot cocoa with pats of butter melted in.  The rest, as they say, can be seen on my ass.

If over-concern about the numbers on the scale resurface, I'll have to cut back to once a week weigh-ins.  I'd rather loose weight slowly and sanely than quickly and crazily.

No comments:

Post a Comment