Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Where do I go from here?

The Plan (as it stands now)

I want to walk my 11,000 goal steps a day barefoot or in minimalist shoes pretty much from now on.  This will help in stretching out my uber-tight calf muscles and getting my feet and calves ready for my next shot at running.

My next weight goal is to end November weighing under 200 lbs.  If I manage to weigh 199.9 lbs on December 1st it will be a victory.  I'm going to San Antonio for 4 days next week, and I plan to enjoy my barbecue, mild tex-mex (is there such a thing?) and shrimp in various fatty preparations.  I also plan to walk and workout, so I hope that keeps the bulge in check.

December 2010 - March 2011 I want to go back to loosing about a pound a week, for a total of 16 pounds down before I start back to running outside again.  This would put me about 53 lbs lighter than when I started working on my weight and physical activity level last December 3rd, which is not shabby.  If my foot feels frisky enough I will begin playing around with the incline and speed on my treadmill.  I may even begin running on the treadmill at my horribly slow pace.  I've already thought about how to get started - up my pace or incline starting at 30 seconds during commercials and slowly stretch it out until I am doing more and more aerobic work on the treadmill.

I will continue to alternate weight lifting and treadmill/walk/running sessions.  If I have to skip a day, I'll skip the treadmill not the weight lifting.  This is a shift from my previous position on which to skip, but honestly, that way lied pain.

Ideally, I'd like to shoot for running a barefoot-style 5K next September or October.  This is a full year later than I had planned to do it.  If my outside running ramps up quickly and comfortably in Spring I may push up my race entry, but I am in no hurry.  I just want to actually manage to do it this time.  I have self-aggrandizing dreams of running a marathon the year I turn 40 - in 2012.  To make that mark I have to go from limping in October of 2010 to running 26.2 miles in about 20 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment