Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Accidental Cure

Oops!

My last post was October 1st - while I intended to lie a bit low until I was able to run again I didn't mean to go completely off the radar.  My bad.

And now back to our program, currently in progress...

As you may recall I have been battling some insidious heel pain.  Is is plantar fasciitis? Which, incidentally makes me think of agricultural fascists every time I say or read the phrase.  Is is Achilles tendinitis?  And why on earth is it spelled tendinitis instead of tendonitis?  In the end, I don't think it really matters, because after limping for 3 months I accidentally found the cure for my heel pain.  I got irritated at the irritated nature of my foot, and I decided Screw It!  I began walking barefoot on the treadmill again and weightlifting at home.  After my first weightlifting session my heel felt about 50% better.  By the end of the week I was lifting every other day, walking on the treadmill barefoot for 30 minutes every day, and doing a yoga tape in the evening sporadically and my heel was at about 80% better.  I continue to see daily improvement in normal function and a lack of pain.

As my foot felt better and better I ruminated on how it came to hurt in the first place.  In July (I think) I decided to just focus on running and to cut out my alternating day of weight lifting.  And from there my heel slowly began to rebel.  I don't know exactly why weight lifting seems to be alleviating my heel pain, and in many ways I don't care.  Pain sucks, and to find something cheap and easy to do to fix it is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment