Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What was that Tolstoy quote?

Oh yeah...
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
Leo Tolstoy
, Anna Karenina, Chapter 1, first line

I love the Internet!!  I no longer have to have a memory, I just need to retain enough information in my poor abused head to look it up later.  Take that all you cretinous teachers who force children to memorize useless facts - didn't see the Internet coming, did ya?

Back to my actual thought for this post.  When you have a concrete goal like running a 5K in October, posting is easy because you talk about your daily progress towards your goal and whatever else pops into your mind along the way.  But now that my tendinitis has sidelined that goal until at least Spring, I find it harder to have something worth publicly saying.  I walk on the treadmill every day for an hour, and I seem to be loosing weight at about a pound a week.  Whoohoo!  Ha!  I've gone from (avert eyes and groan) a 3X shirt size down to a Large.  I spend an inordinate amount of time fantasizing about what I will look like in my current batch of new clothes (it's not cold enough outside for me to wear my 3/4 sleeve shirts and sweaters yet) and thinking about shrinking down from Large to Medium.  I also need to buy a new pair of winter shoes because my pair from last year are loose on me.  Money I don't mind spending, if I only had it after all my wild ways the past few months.

Happy Round Runner

I am in that rare demographic of people who are loosing weight and are happy with their process and progress.  Which means that I will probably continue to post sporadically until my next challenge presents itself.  I am just under 3 lbs away from breaking the 200lb barrier.  My reward for the first big push is to sign up for Krav Maga classes.  Even though I should break the barrier this month I will probably have to wait until January or February to sign up for classes because they are $85 - $105 / month.  Looking at the schedule I see that they will also require me to give up 2+ hours a week in family time, but then anything I do alone during the week nights will take me from the family.

Weird and slightly creepy Round Runner

I have long had an affinity for apocalyptic science fiction.  While realistically I know that I am probably going to die in the first wave of whatever that comes along and kills off a bunch of us, I'd like to have some chance of surviving the coming shit storm if I manage to survive the big bad.  Hence my hankering to pick up a martial art.  I probably need to learn to shoot a gun and do some basic agriculture and chemistry.  All things to look forward to in becoming a renaissance survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment