Friday, September 24, 2010

Bad Character

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one who finds herself working out while watching shows like Ruby (about a 700 lb+ woman who wants to lose weight) and The Biggest Loser?  I think I get a sick sort of satisfaction over the fact that I am not that far off from a healthy weight in comparison to the people on the weight-loss reality shows.  It's like my cyclic passion for Clean House, which seems to reassure me that my messy house isn't that bad because there are other people out that who put my clutter to SHAME.

Sometime I wonder why I am attracted to shows like this.  I know that we have mirror neurons on our brains that light up when we see someone doing an action and mimic the same pathways that would light up if we were doing the action ourselves.  So does watching someone work to lose weight or clean their house somehow satisfy my mental need to do the same, and then absolve me subliminally from doing the work myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment