Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mad Scientist

The Experiment

In many ways I find loosing weight to be a science experiment with a sample size of one.  I can read about what has worked for other people, but until I try it myself I won't know what works for me.  I can even read about other people's results, but that doesn't mean that I can extrapolate those results to my efforts.  So when I read about some barefoot runners shrinking their foot size I thought that it was interesting, but unlikely to happen to me.

The Results

I went shoe shopping today because I need to get new winter shoes.  About 10 days ago we had a very short-lived cold snap that caused me to break out my winter shoes from last year.  They are too big for me now.  My foot slops around so much inside of them that I am concerned about the potential for injury do to poor walking form.  My old shoes are a pair of Keen slip-ons that I ADORE.  I bought them last November at Track n' Trail at the outlet mall in Park City.  I ended up back there today.  Last year when I measured my foot my big toe was over the 9 line and right at the 9.5 line - making my actual shoe size a 10 (you size up about 1/2 size for comfort).  This time my toe was just a hair under the 8.5 line, making my shoe size from 9 - 9.5 depending on the cut of the shoe.  I bought a pair of Merrill slip-ons in size 9. I doubt that all of my shoe size shrinkage is due solely to weight loss - that should make my foot slimmer and lower volume but not affect the length.  So maybe the barefoot running really does change the length of your foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment