Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Couch to 5K!

I have begun!

The best laid plans often go awry.  I've been trying to loose about 3 lbs before I started to run again, and my body is stubbornly plodding along in a weight-loss plateau at 203 lbs.  The weather is getting nicer and nicer and I've been itching to run, so this morning I decided to just go ahead and start.  If I wait for the perfect conditions I'll never get back to running.

I did the Couch to 5K week one workout, which is warm up and then run for 1 minute and walk for 1 1/2 minutes for 20 minutes.  I think I did a total of 7 minutes of running.  I did preemptively use my inhaler, but I'm glad that I wasn't sucking wind on this level.  That last time I started I couldn't run for a full minute so I hacked it don to 30 seconds and counted each one down desperately until I could walk again.  I'm not going to be fanatically about following the time line of the training plan.  At least at the beginning I'm planning on spending more time than a week at each level - possibly even doubling the time to two weeks per level.  I want to avoid foot injuries this summer - they suck!

Inspiration

I bought this necklace at the Winter Outdoor Retailer Show from Tarma.  This is my goal for this year, and I really like wearing it as a reminder around my neck.  By December I want to have registered and run in at least one 5K race.  Ideally, I'd like to run in one is SLC, and one in Hawaii when Round Hiker and I go there this November.  The journey of 3.1 miles starts with 7 minutes of running, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment