Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reality is a slap in the face

2nd Christmas

So my holidays are finally over, with the close of 2nd Christmas.  This year we went to my Dad and step-mother's house at the end of the 1st week in January and met up with my brother, his wife and their two children.  Little Runner was ecstatic.  I was mixed, at least on the issue of food.  I got fat for a reason, and my parents, particularly my father, is one of them.  Meat and cream three meals a day is the goal for my dad.  We had fantastic quiche for breakfast, or bacon and eggs, or sausage gravy.  We had prime rib for dinner (okay that was at my request, but it was FANTASTIC), or ate out, or picked at the leftovers from the deli trays from the big family and neighbors get-together.  And my lovely SIL made homemade chocolate chip cookies.  Oh, and I got a great box of Drost (local to CO) chocolates.  GAH.

As a result of holiday abandon and general laxness since November I am up 9 lbs since my low just before Thanksgiving.  I don't think I can keep writing my weight-gain off to water weight.  Maybe 2 lbs of it is due to my excessive love of salty foods, but the rest is just plain old habits re-asserting themselves.  Mindless eating, opportunistic eating, and over indulging in available sweets.

Control

It seems that as soon as I perceive myself to be in a situation where I have little control over my food environment I give myself permission to go hog-wild.  I think this is an offshoot of my historic all-or-nothing approach to dieting and exercise.  Ether I was perfect, or I was perfectly horrid.  I'm back in my environment again, and I need to regain my balance and sense of control.  The Outdoor Retailer show will start next week and we will have house guests.  This is usually a time where I tend to over-indulge, but I need to keep one thing in mind: Tiburon!  On that Saturday Round Hiker and I will formally celebrate our 10th year anniversary (which was December 30th) at our favorite outrageously expensive restaurant.  I definitely will not be limiting myself that night, so I have to be good the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment