Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Changing Light

Energized!

Now that December 22nd (and the shortest day of the year) has passed I feel my spirits and energy level slowly lifting as the days gradually get longer.  I brought my yoga gear (clothes, mat, DVD) to work today and will do 1/2 hour session in my office this afternoon before I leave work.  It amazes me that 3 weeks ago I could barely make myself consistently walk on the treadmill and now I cheerfully contemplate regularly doing 2 workouts a day 5 days a week (walk/lift or walk/yoga).

Feet

I am thrilled that my feet are feeling the best they have in years, just months after I sought medical attention for Achilles tendinitis.  I'm still doing my heel lifts every day after I walk on the treadmill, as well as stretching my calf muscles.  I've added some IT band exercises and stretches to help avoid the hip and knee pain I have been prone to in the past.  Some of those exercises were on my rehab list from 2005 when I had an issue with pain at the bottom of my kneecap from excessively pronating while rollerblading every morning in the summer.  I will also add the rest of those knee exercises to my morning routine.  Apparently I need a lot of attention to detail and preventive maintenance on my hip/knee/foot structures to keep my athletic aspirations from dooming me to a life of joint pain.  But the time sure seems worth it as my feet feel fantastic and nothing else hurts.  I realize that this post is just begging the universe to screw with me, but I have hope that just this once it won't notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment